Prep time: ~10 minutes | Cooking time: 50 minutes
In honor of National Diabetes Awareness Month and the Thanksgiving holiday, clinical dietitian Jenna Scudder, RD, LDN has provided this recipe for Pecan Crusted Turkey Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes from the American Diabetes Association.
- Cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ounces pecan chips
- 24 ounce turkey breast tenderloin
- 2 – 6 ounce sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges (about 18 wedges per potato)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray large rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a medium shallow bowl, whisk together egg and egg whites.
3. In another medium shallow bowl, combine garlic powder, pepper and pecans.
4. Dip turkey breast tenderloin in egg mixture and coat well. Dredge turkey in pecan mixture and cover on both sides. Place in baking dish. Discard leftover egg mixture.
5. In a medium bowl, mix together sweet potatoes, oil, cinnamon and Splenda brown sugar.
6. Arrange the sweet potatoes around the turkey breast tenderloin in baking dish. Bake for 50 minutes or until done (turkey breast reaches 165 degrees).
Makes roughly 6 servings (4 oz turkey and six sweet potato wedges).
Nutrition Information (Per serving)
Fat (g): 10
Cholesterol (mg): 85
Carbohydrates (g): 14
Fiber (g): 2
Protein (g): 25
Sodium (mg): 75
-Submitted by Jenna Scudder, RD, LDN, Clinical Dietitian.